Saturday, June 10, 2017

Our School Star!


About 7 weeks ago, Levi transitioned to a new school.....new bus, new teachers, new classmates.  While he seemed unfazed, I really struggled with the decision of whether to make the move now or wait until next school year.  In the end, it seemed best to have him settle in to his new classroom sooner rather than later.  My heart broke for him, as transitions like this usually come with several weeks (sometimes months) of difficulty as he tests everyone and everything all over again.  I felt like I was setting him up to struggle.  

I waited for the feedback.....the notes or calls about the extreme behaviors.  Instead, Levi came home with smiley faces next to most categories of the day.  Maybe an intermittent sad face, but overall.....a LOT of happy faces.  And he'd come off of the bus telling me "happy!"  

My heart explodes each time his teacher sends a message about how sweet Levi has been, or how hard he is working....how much he fits right in, and how SMART he is!  He's made soooo much progress they'll say....and I am blown away by what he has accomplished in seven weeks, all while adjusting to so much newness!  We had the sweetest moment a week or so ago.....he came home and I asked him about his day....he doesn't usually tell me much.  It's hard.  I often don't understand.  It was his first field day....he SO wanted to share with me.  His teacher had sent pictures and even some videos via a classroom app, so I knew all about it.  And as he tried to share with me, I new exactly what he was talking about!  I could tell he was excited....and at one point he stopped and asked "you?!"  He wondered if I was there....because how on earth did I understand everything he had done?!  It wasn't just the pictures....those helped to clarify and helped me to ask more purposeful questions....but he was really able to express to me all that he had done.  It seems so small....but I doubt I'll forget it.  It was priceless.  

Each week, a student is chosen in each grade to be the school star.  I received a message from his teacher letting me know that she chose Levi, and it would be in the newspaper the following day.  She went on to explain why she had chose him.  It's not that his behavior is perfect....he needs his time outs here and there as a little re-set....but despite all of that, he has shown "perseverance and a willingness to do his best."  She talked about how most kids don't face school changes so late in the year and how he has handled it so well.  I love that she really sees Levi....she gets him....she enjoys working with him and celebrating his achievements.   I could not be more thankful for this change....one that seemed to scary, and possibly wrong.  God knew what this sweet boy needed...and He could not have put him in a better place.  

We are SO proud of our little star!!
           

2 comments:

  1. Love, love, love Levi. You are an awesome Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love my little machine operator . ,You are doing an awesome job with him.

    ReplyDelete