Thursday, September 11, 2014

A New Opportunity To Make A Difference

         When Caleb was a few months old he started "waking up" screaming.  Sometimes his eyes would be open, sometimes closed, but despite the fact that we picked him up and did everything to comfort him, it was as if he would not wake up.  Our doctor at the time suggested we talk to another doctor who worked out of the same building (long story) and uses holistic strategies for treatment etc.  We explained the situation, which he considered a type of night terror, and he put together a little concoction...okay remedy....and told us to put a few drops in his mouth each day.  Umm okay?!  I was skeptical, but willing to try anything, and something natural seemed like a good place to start for such a little one.  I really never expected it to work.....or if it did, to work so well.  Within a short time, it stopped happening.  For good.  And once the bottle ran out, we just sort of forgot about it all.  Amazing....and the best part was that it couldn't have just been in my head because it wasn't something I was taking!

         Okay, fast forward to maybe a year ago.....our sweet three year old starts waking up from his nap almost every day in a panic.  Making no sense, petrified, crying, screaming, inconsolable.  It would take at least 20-30 minutes for him to snap out of it....and that's exactly what would happen, just all of a sudden he would be himself again.  He'd have occasional nightmares during the night too, but the brunt of it was mid-day.....when we'd have to run out the door after nap time to be somewhere...or when I needed to get dinner started.  So I finally made the call to the doctor who had helped us years prior.  He asks a lot of questions...good questions....and in the end made us another concoction remedy.  Different than the previous one, but the same few drops each day.  He said it may or may not work, there were other options we could try if it didn't, and told me that if it did work we would start to see it slowly fizzle out.  Not all at once, over a period of a few weeks.  I guess I was still a little skeptical of these natural remedies, but sure enough to my surprise they did just that.  Within a week, he'd wake up and have a mild "episode" for maybe 5-10 minutes.  And within a couple of weeks...nothing.  What?!  I will say that he has had the occasional night time nightmare, but it's not the same in any way......just a regular bad dream.  We finished the bottle and within a few weeks it started happening again.  So we got our refill and now we're good!  All enjoying nap time happily : )

       Phew....long-winded today (ha).  There's really a point, I promise.  All of that to say, I'm now much less skeptical about natural, maybe not so typical, remedies.  So with the recent essential oils craze, though I had my reservations, I was curious.  I did some research, talked to some people, and then it got put on the back burner as we went on another adoption journey and life got crazy.  I also felt like there was so much information out there, so many different companies, and no way to really know which was best etc.  It was a bit overwhelming.  But one particular company kept coming up....with people I trust, people who I know do their homework and don't just follow the current trend on a whim.  I wanted to try it out, but couldn't justify spending the money while trying to save every penny for the adoption.  So when I recently had the opportunity to jump on board of a potential way to raise money for adoption, while trying out essential oils, it was almost too good to be true.  For quite a while, I've been trying to find a way (besides consigning) to raise money for other families adopting, long term.  God has put this burden on my heart in a huge way, and though we may be done adopting (for now or forever I don't know the answer to that), we still want to help children come home.  This seemed like the perfect answer to several things I'm interested in.....adoption, helping families with the overwhelming cost, learning more about essential oils, testing them out, more alternative and safer remedies for my family.......

     So I jumped in.  I don't know for sure where it will lead, but I'm excited about it.  I received my first products and I'm testing them out.  I'll let you know what I think.....how it works for us....and maybe, if you want to come along for the ride, you'll want to try it out too.  Or, let us be the guinea pigs (weird phrase) and then make up your mind.  But if you're interested, I've set up a store here.  (ALL profits will go towards adopting families expenses).  I've done some "courses" so feel free to ask me questions and I'll do my best to answer them!  I'm still learning...but I think the real test is just if they make a difference in our lives.  And if they do, how amazing will that be......a way to better our lives, our health, our family, while making a difference in the lives of families adopting and children finding their way home!  

No comments:

Post a Comment