Friday, March 21, 2014

Living and learning


      As things continue to worsen in U, we are getting closer to finally submitting our documents.  Yet, we have no reason to stop moving forward at this point, and as this is not about us and our comfort or a smooth process, we continue on.  We were so blessed to be able to have our fingerprints completed earlier than expected, and despite a small hiccup with our home study and USCIS, we should still have our approval by next week.  At that point, all of our documents will be complete and ready to make their way to U!  From what I've heard, the general timeline is that it takes around a month to be registered and then you are given an appointment (which could be anywhere from days to weeks away) to travel to U.  I'm not sure if the timeline is being affected by all that is currently taking place, and I'm trying not to count out (over and over again) when we could potentially travel.

           Other than preparing documents, life continues to move along as usual......cold, fever, strep, virus, cold.....  We've pretty much been house bound, or gone places outdoors where we can keep the germs to ourselves, for the past few months.  It's been bittersweet - for obvious reasons bitter, but sweet in that we've spent a LOT of quality time together.  No running here and there, rushing out the door, rushing back for lunch and naps.  In all honesty, it was a challenge at first......and I had to learn to be more creative with our time.....while the playroom is wonderful, you can only spend so much time day after day in one room!


We've had some dance parties with musical instruments - always a fun time!

Lots of crafts....especially with daddy since he's much more creative!  Yes Levi decided to taste one - hence the blue lips.

TONS of reading books!

We started our garden and the boys love checking to see what's happening, and watering when needed. 

More time in the kitchen.......

Pretzel X's for X week in school (which has been super sporadic since none of us have felt too great)

More projects

And getting outside whenever possible! Zoo trips and....

Playing out in the yard......boy we can't wait for the warmer weather when we can do this all day everyday!

First ice cream of the year!

And just being cute!  
          Turns out there's a lot to do, even when you're stuck inside! : )  Oh and Caleb's on this new joke kick, so that's been fun.....today it was, "Why do chickens sit on their eggs? Because they don't have chairs! HAHAHAH.  Why do people blink their eyes? Because they don't have eyeballs! HAHAHA.  At first I found it challenging that he just assumed we had a full library of jokes memorized, but soon realized just about anything goes.  Oh the humor of a three year old!  He seems so big these days.  I always thought I was such a baby person, but each stage really is so fun (challenging!!! but fun).  It's nice to be able to sit down and play board games, or card games.....and to listen as he tells me in great detail about everything.  We had to sit and wait for about 45 minutes the other day as our documents were apostilled and I wasn't really sure how he was going to do.  Levi and Luke were home sleeping, so it was just the two of us.  It turned into such a blessing.....some unexpected one on one time, and he even said it was fun! Sitting in an office for 45 minutes, fun?!  We looked for shapes in everything, talked about what letter sounds things began with, he told me all about what he does in Awana each week.....just a sweet time to really listen and focus on him.  He loves that undivided attention, and it reminded me how often I'm too distracted....too focused on things that maybe just aren't as important.  And I dust off my 1000 gifts journal and start remembering to be thankful for this...this grace in everything.    

        Levi's newest pastime is serenading us with a song on his guitar.  He is obsessed.  Unfortunately you can't hear his adorable lyrics that go along with the playing in this one....but the way he so accurately plays the guitar is the best!  I'll be preparing a meal, doing laundry....whatever...and suddenly I hear him singing....and I'll peek in to find him sitting contentedly with his guitar.  Before he would always stop when I came in....but now, he points to the camera.  Smart boy!

       
       I think being home has made me realize even more that we don't need to be doing so much....maybe it's actually more like we shouldn't be doing so much.  I still always feel like I have a million things to do, to catch up on.....but I feel like we have spent so much more quality time together.  Like less really is more.  Which seems to be another theme of our life.  It's sort of been that way since we started preparing for Levi's adoption, as we cut things out of our budget that weren't necessary and started saving in an even more disciplined way.  And every now and then we start to feel the pressure.....like maybe we really do need more...or better.  The other day I had to call verizon for the millionth time over an issue with our bills and the representative had to confirm that wait....you just have, uh...basic phones?  So you don't use any data...hmm....sooooo....yeah you really shouldn't be paying that much for just basic phones with no data!  So later that afternoon I was excited to see that our antenna amplifier had come in the mail.....you know, the thing you hook up to your indoor antenna so you can get a few free basic channels?  To top off the day, our internet wasn't working properly that night, and when we called the company the representative informed us that we have the most basic possible internet, and he didn't think it was possible to stream videos with that internet, hence the problem.  He was surprised to learn that we'd been doing so without any problems for the past TWO years.

       I'm looking forward to everyone being well (I think we're finally just about there) and getting out of the house.  But I'm also thinking we may stick to more of this.....

            “Being in a hurry. Getting to the next thing without fully entering the thing in front of me. I cannot think of a single advantage I've ever gained from being in a hurry. But a thousand broken and missed things, tens of thousands, lie in the wake of all the rushing.... Through all that haste I thought I was making up time. It turns out I was throwing it away.” 



“Simplicity is ultimately a matter of focus.” 

2 comments:

  1. I always love the pics, your boys are so sweet. I have been enjoying staying home more and trying to keep things simple (though things feel anything but simple with the kids running around!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thank you! Haha, yes it certainly does not feel simple! : )

    ReplyDelete