Sunday, November 3, 2013

Orphan Sunday

                                                 Orphan Sunday clip with David Platt

         November is National Adoption Awareness month.  It brings me back to that day, October 31st, two years ago (how has it been two years?!) when I was trying to tune out God's call for us to adopt.  I had decided it was just too much....too hard....too uncertain....too much change, too many unknowns and on and on went my excuses.  And then came November 1st and National Adoption Awareness month only amplified God's voice for me.  It was a huge confirmation and constant encouragement all month long.  I wonder how many others are being impacted and especially today.  Today is Orphan Sunday.  It gives me chills to think about how many people may have been given a push....an eye opener....a much needed encouragement or confirmation today.  

        As I looked up a little about Orphan Sunday, I found that this years video focuses on efforts in Ukraine and a program called You Will Be Found.  Of course, I thought....it should be no surprise that Ukraine would come up again.  When God wants you to do something....if you're listening, even just a little...He makes it clear!

       Tonight Caleb asked me....seemingly out of the blue.....if Levi was in my belly when he was a baby.  I'm not sure what triggered the question, but it caught me off guard.  I explained to him, as best I could and he seemed slightly bothered, but content for now with my answer.  Someday that will be Levi asking and the hard questions, answers and realities will come.  But again it brought me back.  This sweet, super smart, strong willed, curious boy who is our precious son was once an orphan.  And to think that I almost continued to stand with my arms crossed in defiance....almost missed the chance to have the privilege of being his mom.  Let this month, this day....the awareness of an orphan's reality move you.....physically move you to take action....don't miss out.  It's really not about us at all, and yet we are so incredibly blessed!

                                      *                                 *                              *

        On a side note, due to the large amount of clothing donations we receive, I've had to do some research on alternatives to the once a year Women's Sale.  I've decided to attempt two new options.  The first is to bring all acceptable clothing to a local consignment store where we will receive 50% of the profit, and the second is to send the rest to Thred Up.  So just before we moved, I washed, dried, and carefully folded all clothing for the consignment store I chose.  Their website said they accepted clothing the first week of each month, so when I didn't get through by phone or email, I decided to just take a drive over.  They were closed, and I was starting to get annoyed!  The boxes ended up having to make the move with us to our new house and have sat in a room until yesterday.  I still hadn't been able to get in touch with anyone and was wondering if I should find a new store.  Since we were already out, I decided to take one last drive by on Saturday.  Much to my relief the shop was open and the owner was extremely sweet.  She explained they had some personal things going on that had kept them from the store etc.  She then inquired as to why the coat on the top of my box was a size that couldn't have been mine.  I explained what I do with the clothes and that they are donated.  The sole customer in the store had stopped to listen and told me what a great idea it was etc.  I talked to the owner a bit about Levi and our story as she asked questions and when we finished the customer shared the following.  She sincerely thanked me for what we were doing, because she was adopted.  And she so appreciated our efforts.  I felt the "smack to my forehead" for lack of a better phrase right about then.  I had been so annoyed by not being able to get the clothes to the store so it would be one less thing I had to think about that I hadn't stopped to consider that even in these small things....even in dropping off some clothes to a consignment store....God may have a greater purpose.  I have no idea why, but I felt certain that God wanted me to be there at that moment, to have that encounter with the customer.  I hadn't planned to share what we were doing.....I just wanted to drop off the clothes and be on my way!  As I've mentioned....I'm a slow learner....but again I'm seeing that purpose in everything.....the gifts everywhere I look.

     

        

No comments:

Post a Comment