Monday, March 18, 2013

Appointments

       Today Levi received cast number three - green at Caleb's request.  The doctor is happy with how things are progressing so at this point the outlook is pretty positive that the casting will be successful.  Today was the first time that I went alone with him for the cast change and I was a little nervous about having to hold him  still.  It turned out that he was incredibly calm and still throughout the entire process of taking the cast off and putting the new one on.  I guess it's already "normal" to him.  He watched their every move turning his head from side to side as they worked...ahhh he is just so precious!

      Last week I received a call to schedule Levi's MRI.  The orthopedic doctor had said there was no rush, and I wasn't too eager to make the appointment so it caught me a bit off guard.  In reality it will be good to know one way or the other what the cause of his clubfoot is....but also in reality is the thought of him being sedated and going into that machine, which makes me cringe.  Thankfully, despite the abundance of appointments this little boy has, this should be the worst of it....unless the MRI shows that his spine is the cause of his condition, but we'll take it one day at a time.

    Many of those days will mean more appointments.....next week we'll go for a hearing test (he hears fine...more of a ruling out purpose...) and then back to the pediatrician to check in on how he is doing and to address one last concern.  Our local agency will be coming to begin work on post placements reports and we should be hearing back from early intervention anytime to schedule our first real "meeting."  Last week Levi was evaluated by two wonderful women and he blew me away.  They told me in advance that they would have to present him with tasks that may be above his ability so not to worry if he couldn't achieve what they were looking for. (On a side note, I am not in the slightest bit worried about where he is at, but felt that if the service was being offered and I could learn additional ways to help him I may as well give it a try!)  Anyway....over and over again he was able to do what they were asking of him.  I know that sometimes he probably didn't understand their words, but he made the visual connection as they showed him what to do.  I've seen from the beginning that he is one smart little guy, but he still surprises me daily with all that he is able to do!  For me that evaluation proved to me a whole lot more of what he can do than what he can't do.  I was so proud!

    All of these appointments have given me a new found respect and compassion for those families with children who require frequent medical care.  Our outlook so far shows that this will be temporary, but for many it is not.  I'm that much more grateful for our health and for the medical care that we do have access to.  I'm also thankful for a wonderful husband who often sacrifices sleep to come with us so that I am not alone with two very active toddlers as we waaaiiittt in the many waiting rooms, and also to hold Levi in the more difficult appointments.

     This whole journey has truly opened up my eyes to a whole new world on so many levels.  It's so easy to put ourselves in a little box and to remain unaware of, or simply choose to ignore, the needs, struggles and reality of others.  And if you're anything like me you may not even realize you're living your life with your eyes half open.  I've been reading a book called "One Thousand Gifts" and joined others in a 30 day challenge for the month of March.  For my challenge I chose to focus on reading this book and putting into practice the wisdom the author shares about being thankful and living your life fully right where you are.  As ridiculous as it sounds, I'd find it easy to complain about the many appointments we have and how busy it is (and I'm sure I have).  But really if I step back and think about it....I couldn't be more thankful that I'm able to go to these appointments....that my precious boy was able to come home so that I can take him!  That I'm home with my children and able to bring them....that we are provided for with wonderful medical insurance and care...  And when I begin to see this reality, my entire perspective changes.  I'm reminded of words from the book..."we don't have to change what we see.  Only the way we see."  I'm sure I still have a lot more to learn and a lot more to become aware of, but I'm praying that God will continue to show me what I need to see.....from the right perspective.    

2 comments:

  1. You have such a wonderful perspective on all of this, it is so nice to read. :) Prayers to you as you await the MRI.

    Now I am going to go look up that book.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I don't always, but I'm learning and trying! Thanks so much for your prayers : )

    ReplyDelete