Since we've started this blog we've been able to move forward a bit more in the process. After applications were sent in and accepted we started to get together some of the things we will need along the way - birth certificates, marriage certificates, etc. This past week we had our first meeting with the social worker who will be completing our home study. It was great to feel that we are finally taking substantial steps forward. Now comes a lot of paperwork and attempts at staying organized!
Several people have asked what is happening now, so here are some of the things we are working on:
* Writing our autobiographies for our home study
* Obtaining letters of recommendation
* Getting medical forms filled out
* Background Checks
* Filling out financial forms
* Completing an online course on international adoption
* Reading a required book through our agency and taking a test
* Applying to USCIS (United States Citizenship & Immigration Services)
* Waiting to be assigned a region in Russia so we can become preparing our "dossier" (all of the documents needed in Russia for the adoption to take place.
Meanwhile we're also working on fundraising ideas and turning those into a reality. We have been overwhelmed by the number of people who have already donated items for our yard sale, are praying for us, offered to help in many ways, donated to the adoption, offered to do their own yard sale for us, and for all those who have been so encouraging. It is a humbling process to know that we cannot do this on our own and we are truly thankful for all of you!