Sunday, February 5, 2012

Moving Forward

     Since we've started this blog we've been able to move forward a bit more in the process.  After applications were sent in and accepted we started to get together some of the things we will need along the way - birth certificates, marriage certificates, etc.  This past week we had our first meeting with the social worker who will be completing our home study.  It was great to feel that we are finally taking substantial steps forward.  Now comes a lot of paperwork and attempts at staying organized! 
  Several people have asked what is happening now, so here are some of the things we are working on:
         * Writing our autobiographies for our home study
         * Obtaining letters of recommendation
         * Getting medical forms filled out
         * Background Checks
         * Filling out financial forms
         * Completing an online course on international adoption
         * Reading a required book through our agency and taking a test
         * Applying to USCIS (United States Citizenship & Immigration Services)
         * Waiting to be assigned a region in Russia so we can become preparing our "dossier" (all of the documents needed in Russia for the adoption to take place.
   
   Meanwhile we're also working on fundraising ideas and turning those into a reality.  We have been overwhelmed by the number of people who have already donated items for our yard sale, are praying for us, offered to help in many ways, donated to the adoption, offered to do their own yard sale for us, and for all those who have been so encouraging.  It is a humbling process to know that we cannot do this on our own and we are truly thankful for all of you!

2 comments:

  1. Karissa,
    Twenty seven years ago, I received one of the greatest blessings of my life.....YOU! I will never forget the joy that filled my heart the moment you were born. I was so thankful to God for giving me a daughter to love and raise. There were so many things I wanted to share with you and teach you. The saying goes that hindsight is 20/20. I see that God has taught ME through YOU more than the other way around. And He is doing just that once again. I am so grateful that you listen to His voice, His gentle prodding. I know that this is His calling on yours and Luke's life. There is no doubt in my mind. I love you and promise to pray for you, your family, and this precious new life that God already has chosen for you. Doubtless, there will be hurdles and hardships to overcome along the way. But as scripture says, "To whom God calls, He equips" and "I can do all things through Christ Who gives me strength." To Him be all the Honor and Glory!!!
    Love you tons,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom,
    Thank you SO much for your beautiful note. I love you and appreciate your prayers and support so very much! Even more, I am eternally grateful that you raised me to know the One who has the ultimate plan for my life. Love you!

    ReplyDelete